In this version, an Artificial Intelligence System was implemented in the Untold Engine. It contains several Steering Behaviors such as Seek, Arrive, Pursuit, Collision Avoidance, and Wonder. A Navigation System using the A* Pathfinder algorithm was also implemented.
3D characters are also capable of going up and down slopes.
The engine now implements a Camera System which allows the camera to behave as a First Person Camera, Third Person Camera and as a Basic Follow Camera. The Camera Culling was also improved. It now allows the developer set the desired Culling interval. Finally, the Particle System was improved to produce 3D particles.
In this version of the engine, I added support for a wireless game controller. Since, the engine uses the Metal API, the engine is thus capable of running a game on several devices such as iOS and Mac. The video shows a small demo running on my Mac.
The engine implements the GJK algorithm to detect collision. The Collision Detection system worked fine between objects of similar size. However, for disproportionate size objects, i.e., terrain and a cube, the collision algorithm would fail 50% of the time. It took me over two months to improve the collision detection between disproportionate objects. It is not perfect, but it works within constraints.
Substantial memory leaks were happening all over the engine. The leakage was something I could no longer ignore, so this month I focused on fixing this issue. I used Xcode’s Instrument app to help me locate the memory leakage throughout the engine. I’m now happy to say that the engine is leakage free.
This month I decided to scrap the original Particle System I had written back in v0.0.4 and focused on implementing a real Particle System. As the video shows, the engine is capable of creating smoke, explosions, snow and many other particles using its new Particle System.
These past two weeks I’ve been working on implementing a Frustum Culling algorithm for the engine.
The logic behind a Frustum Culling algorithm is essentially this:
“If the camera does not see the 3D model, then the engine should not render it”.
Implementing this logic, allows you to have 100 models in a game, but only 10 or so many models being rendered at any time. Thus, improving the game experience.
In version v0.0.5, I ported the game engine from OpenGL to Apple’s Metal API.
Initially, I planned to keep working on the 3D soccer game using v0.0.4 of the engine. However, I decided to port the engine once I saw an Augmented Reality demo. I realized that Augmented Reality (AR) is the future of gaming and it may be a good idea to have this feature available in the engine. However, the AR framework only works with the Metal API; it does not support OpenGL.
In this beta version v0.0.4, I implemented a primitive particle system, thus allowing explosion effects to occur once a missile hits the asteroid. I also enabled multi-touch, this allows the spaceship to turn as it speeds up. I also set up collision filters among object types. For example, object A and object B can collide; object A and object C can collide, but any collision among object B and Object C is ignored.
In this beta version v0.0.3 of the engine, animations and collision detection can work simultaneously. The BHV algorithm was improved helping the engine make better decisions when pairing up 3D models for collision detection. The MVC (Model-View-Controller) flow of information was also improved.
In Beta version v0.0.2, the game engine is capable of detecting collision between any convex models. Emulates physical forces such as gravity, drag, etc. Renders shadows.
In Beta version v0.0.1, the game engine is capable of rendering 3D models with textures/normal maps, animation, skyboxes, fonts, sprites and contains a digital asset importer.